Skylights are an excellent addition to any manufactured home, and one should always be keen to have them installed if they are thinking of making the home more attractive. One of the benefits of having manufactured home skylights is that they increase the amount of natural light coming into the room, which makes it seem airier than usual. Energy from the sun also has the effect of getting rid of any bad odor within the room, which means that it’s likely to smell better as well. This makes it one of the best investments one can get as far as home improvement is concerned.
Types Of Skylights
If you are thinking of getting a skylight for your manufactured home, it’s important to have an idea of how many types there are, so that you can pick the one that suits you most. The most common include:
1) Fixed skylights: these are designed to only provide additional light. They don’t open, and therefore can’t be used to provide ventilation to the home. Most are designed to be installed in hard to reach areas, and often provide a very good view when installed properly. A very good example of this are the Mobile Home Advantage skylights (www.mobilehomeadvantage.com), which are known to be very effective and also very durable. These cost between $300 and $500 depending on the particular type you choose.
2) Tubular skylights: these are designed to work well in enclosed spaces. They are usually some of the easiest skylights to install, especially when you consider that they fit perfectly in tight spaces. They are usually designed as a reflective tube which essentially ‘gathers’ sunlight from the environment and channels it into the mobile home. One of the best brands you can get is the Sun Tube from Mobile Home Advantage. This store sells them at between $199 and $250 apiece.
3) Ventilating Skylights: these are some of the most popular skylights for mobile homes. As the name suggests, they are designed to also provide ventilation in addition to extra sunlight. They are ideal for use in scenarios where there might be excess moisture, such as in the mobile home bathroom. Some also come with electronic operation and even moisture detection, so that they can automatically close in case it starts raining.
The best way to figure out which type of skylight to buy is by simply finding out what you need, and then investing in the appropriate type. If you find this difficult, you could also get some advice on what to get from professional sources, such as the contractor you are going to use for the project.
How to go about DIY skylight installation
Once you have decided on which type of skylight to get for the mobile home, you may then need to go through the process of installation. Most people prefer to do it on their own since this is cheaper than working with a contractor. Some of the steps you will need to go through in order to do this include:
· Collect all the materials you need: it might seem obvious, but there are many people who have a hard time with such projects simply because they did not take the time to collect all they needed. Some of the basic tools you should buy or rent for the job include hammers, drills, a jig saw, some nails, a spirit level, caulk, drywall mud, the skylight flushing kit, a utility knife and a circular saw.
· Mark the area: once on the roof, you would then use the chalk to make an outline of where the skylight needs to be. This has to be done to accurate proportions in order for it to work. You should always make sure that the lines do not intersect any rafters, since they are support structures and you don’t want to cut through them.
· Do the cutting: once the outline has been made, you can then use the jigsaw to cut the roof drywall. Ideally, you should drill holes on the corners of the outline first.
· Create the frame and install the flashing kit: after the cutting, you may need to create a frame around the hole you have created, so that the flashing kit can fit in it properly. This has to be done accurately to reduce the chances of leaks. You can then simply screw the skylight onto the frame.
Once you follow the above steps, it will be easy for you to end up with manufactured home skylights that will not only work for the application that you want to use them for, but will also last long as well.